REPUBLIC OF LIBERIA
OFFICE OF MINISTER OF STATE WITHOUT PORTFOLIO
DIASPORA AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT
DIASPORA ENGAGEMENT PROJECT (DEP)
Grant No: P124809
INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT SERVICES: DIASPORA POLICY EXPERT
Request for Expressions of Interest
1. The Government of Liberia has received a grant from the International Development
Association (IDA) toward the cost of establishing and operationalizing the Diaspora Affairs
Department, and the government intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services for a Diaspora Policy Expert.
2. The Objective of the consultancy shall be to produce a Draft National Diaspora Policy. This
will guide the government and shall entail other relevant activities.
3. The GOL now invites eligible individual International consultants to indicate their interest in
providing the services. Interested individual consultants must provide information indicating
that they are qualified to perform the services (CVs, description of similar assignments,
experience in similar conditions). Selection will be based on qualifications and experience
4. Consulting firms are allowed to propose individuals for this assignment. However, only the
experience and qualifications of individuals shall be used in the selection process, and
corporate experience shall not be taken into account and the contract would be signed with the proposed individual.
5. The Expert on Diaspora Policy shall have the following educational and professional
a. Minimum of 10 years of professional working experience in Diaspora related affairs at
national, regional and international level.
b. A Master’s degree in policy development, migration policy development, Diaspora affairs,
labor and migration economics or a related field. A post graduate qualification will be an
c. Knowledge of the migration patterns and trends in Liberia, and of the ECOWAS and the
Africa Union in particular and Diaspora issues in general as well as knowledge of regional
economic integration would be an added advantage.
d. Fluency in written and spoken English will be required. Written and spoken French will be an additional advantage.
e. Strong computer and analytical skills with ability to write and review technical reports will be required. f. Proven track record to work in a multi-disciplinary and challenging environment is necessary.
g. Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work within and build team environment;
ability to provide detailed and strategic analysis; excellent communication and negotiation
skills; ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a diverse work environment.
6. Duration of assignment is expected to be 50 working days from the date of signing the
7. The consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s
Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and
Grants by World Bank Borrowers” dated January 2011. Interested individual consultants may
obtain further information at the address below from Monday to Friday between 0830 hrs and 1630 hrs during working days.
8. Expressions of Interest, clearly marked “Consultancy on Diaspora Policy Expert”, must be
delivered to the address below by hand, mail or email, by 1400 Hrs on February 24, 2014.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Ministry of State without Portfolio
5th Floor Foreign Affairs Building
Attention: Minister of State without Portfolio
Terms of Reference International Consultancy: Diaspora Policy Expert
In response to a request from the Government of Liberia for support to its Diaspora Affairs
Department in the Office of the Minister of State without Portfolio, the World Bank has approved a grant to undertake specifically defined activities within a two year period beginning March, 2014. The Government of Liberia, through the Office of the Minister of State without Portfolio intends to develop a diaspora engagement policy within which to engage the Liberian Diaspora into the development processes of the country to achieve a middle income status and inclusive growth by 2030.
Accordingly, the Minister of State without Portfolio requires the services of a creative individual to be hired as a Consultant who will develop a National Diaspora Policy and provide diaspora policy support to the project team and undertake related duties.
Objective of the Assignment:
The Objective of the consultancy shall be to produce a Draft National Diaspora Policy. This will guide the government and shall entail other relevant activities.
Scope of the Work:
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Minister of State without Portfolio, the Consultant shall:
a. Produce an inception report indicating how to proceed with the assignment.
b. Conduct extensive literature review and consultations with all the relevant stakeholders with a view to identifying the key issues gathering the necessary data and information for developing the policy; and propose appropriate measures and strategies required for implementation of the Policy.
c. Carry out an analysis of relevant best practices for Diaspora management in other countries
especially post conflict state for purposes of benchmarking.
d. Present a first Draft Policy document to the Minister.
e. Present a second draft to a National validation workshop of Stakeholders.
f. Submit to the Minister a third and final Draft which incorporates views, comments,
recommendations and concerns of Stakeholders.
The Consultant is expected to deliver the following:
- Draft inception report with a work plan.
- First Draft Diaspora Policy Document.
- Second draft Diaspora policy.
- Third and final Draft Diaspora Policy Document.
Draft reports shall be submitted in triplicate in both hard and soft (print and electronic) formats.
Reports and timeframes for the Assignment:
The sequence here under represents the time line for the assignment. The assignment is expected to take six (6) months from the date of signing the contract.
- Date of Engagement
- Inception Report
- First Draft Report
- Second Draft Report
- Validation workshop
- Draft Final Report
Information and facilities to be provided by the Client
The Office of the Minister of State without Portfolio as the Client shall provide necessary support to the consultant in order to execute the assignment during the duration of the consultancy.
These shall include:
- Working space for the specified consultancy period;
- Immovable working office equipment;
- Access to relevant legal and policy documents necessary for execution of the duties under this consultancy;
- Equipment and space for consultation and validation workshops.
Qualifications and Experience
Preference will be given to individuals with proven relevant experience in undertaking a task of
similar magnitude, and shall preferably among others, have the following qualifications and
- Minimum of 8 years of professional working experience in Diaspora related affairs at national, regional and international level.
- The Consultant shall posses a Post Graduate qualification in policy development, migration policy development, Diaspora affairs, labour and migration economics or a related field.
- Knowledge of the migration patterns and trends in Liberia, the ECOWAS and Africa Union in particular and Diaspora issues in general shall be an added advantage. Knowledge of regional economic integration would be an added advantage.
- Fluency in English will be required
- Strong computer skills and analytical skills with ability to write and review technical reports will be required.
- Proven track record to work in a multi-disciplinary and challenging environment is necessary.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work within and build team environment; ability to provide detailed and strategic analysis; excellent communication and negotiation skills; ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a diverse work environment.
Applicants are required to submit an application and proposals, which include the following:
- Job Proposal: Letter of Interest, stating why you consider yourself suitable for the assignment;
- Brief methodology on the approach and implementation of the assignment;
- Personal CV highlighting past experience in similar projects;
- Work references – contact details (e-mail addresses) of referees;
- Financial proposal indicating consultancy fee, lump sum fee with a breakdown of the costs or unit price together with any other expenses related to the assignment (e.g. travel costs, holding of workshops/focus group discussion etc).
- All submission should be made electronically to email@example.com on or before February 24, 2014 at 1400hr.